Tuesday, September 01, 2009

The limelight

This is a really bright idea.

I was reading Food Network Magazine and came across an article about making votive candles from hallowed out oranges, grapefruits, lemons, and limes. I had some lemons and limes in the house so I decided to give it a try.

I didn't follow the instructions exactly, I simply gave them a slight twist.

Here's what I did:

  • Sliced a lemon and lime in half
  • Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each half so they would stand up straight
  • Juiced each side of the lemon and lime
  • Placed a tea light candle inside each citrus shell

I think these lemon and lime votive candles would produce a nice centerpiece when:
  • Serving Mexican food or making your favorite salsa recipe calling for lemon or lime juice
  • Blending up Margarita's (this might be fun to do if you are entertaining your Margarita Club, right Mom?)
  • Making fresh lemonade
  • Life gives you (more) lemons
  • Feeling a little fruity
  • You just need to lighten up
I hope you'll give this fresh and really easy idea a try! Glow on.

6 comments:

Yum Yucky 8:50 AM, September 01, 2009  

So does it give off a fruity aroma?

Joanna Sutter, www.fitnessandspice.com 9:24 AM, September 01, 2009  

If you add a fruit scented tea light candle ;-).

Actually, the way I did them, they did not put out a citrus smell. But they really put off a beautiful little glow. While this picture I took is really quite good (insert golf clap) they are even prettier in real life.

The way Food Network did them might produce a nice scent though. They made them by doing something like melting wax on the stove top, pouring the wax into the shell of the citrus (while letting them dry in a muffin tin), and adding a wick. Or something like that.

Unknown 9:35 AM, September 01, 2009  

I like your "recipe" much better - easier and more likely I'll actually use...if I only entertained a little... :)

Joanna Sutter, www.fitnessandspice.com 9:53 AM, September 01, 2009  

Thanks, Michelle! I rarely follow instructions...if there's an easier way, I'll try that first! :)

I almost added a bullet saying these votives would be cute on a table if you were hosting a nice summer luncheon but this isn't something I ever do so I skipped that part.

That being said, you don't have to be entertaining anyone to make these little beauties. Candle light is just one of life's little pleasures, don't you think? And, the best part is they take like 2 minutes to throw together.

Anonymous 1:07 PM, September 01, 2009  

My "club" will love them!
Thanks for mentioning us!
Love, MOM

Joanna Sutter, www.fitnessandspice.com 9:25 PM, September 01, 2009  

I love your club, Mom. Makes me want to start one of my own. ;-)

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP