Monday, August 31, 2009

Must Move TV

If you are like me you just might be looking forward to the upcoming season premieres of your favorite television shows. My three favorite shows? The Biggest Loser, Grey's Anatomy, and The Office.

In some cases I tape these shows, watch them at a later time, and buzz right through the commercials. When I catch an episode at its regularly scheduled time, instead of sitting on my comfy red chair for 30 minutes to 2 hours(!) straight, I make myself get up and move. Commercial break workouts have become a great way for me to get in some extra exercise and can keep me from feeling like a complete coach potato.

Lucky for me, I have a spinning bike placed right in front of my television set. It's pictured here along with my handsome workout partner, Bella. Speaking of commercials, Bella probably belongs in one...just look at that face!

Anyway, sometimes I'll do interval sprints during the frequent commercial interruptions. For example, I will sprint one commercial, recover the next, and repeat this sequence until the show comes on again. The next commercial break I might crank up the resistance and climb a hill for the first commercial, then release the resistance and sprint for the next commercial, repeating this sequence until the show returns.

Other times, I'll do some body weight or light weight exercises during the commercial breaks. For instance, I'll pick 4-5 exercises and complete 15-20 reps of each one, repeating the circuit until the advertisements are over. Here are some of the movements I pick from:

If I want to get my heart rate up a bit more, I might mix in 30-60 seconds of some of the following moves with the exercises above:
  • Jumping jacks
  • Running in place with high knees
  • Running in place with butt kicks
  • Air jump rope
  • Burpees
  • Tuck jumps
  • Single-leg hops
Then, at the end of the show while waiting patiently for a preview of the next episode, I'll stretch out. Before I know it, I've completed a nice interval workout in no time while indulging in my favorite primetime comedy or TV drama.

So, instead of feeling like The Biggest Loser just watching Grey's Anatomy, I'll work on my own, all while getting a little McSteamy (that's what he said).

5 comments:

Anonymous 7:33 AM, August 31, 2009  

Very cool idea girl! I've become a big watcher of shows on Hulu. I set my comp up on my treadclimber and walk/climb right through a show. I also make sure I do my crunches or weights (funny to watch a gimpy armed girl do weights). While watching my favorite show! I think I will try some of your workout ideas today! :D

Joanna Sutter, www.fitnessandspice.com 7:45 AM, August 31, 2009  

Great ideas, Erin! To be honest, I went to Hulu right after the Super Commercials, and haven't been back...what a mistake!

Good point on getting some direct abdominal work in, too. I love/hate holding planks through a commercial. It's like hitting the lottery when it's only a 30 second spot.

Shannon 9:08 AM, August 31, 2009  

I love Erin's idea! I'm totally doing this tonight...

Yum Yucky 7:21 PM, August 31, 2009  

Your girls are showing me up. All I want to do right now is eat some Cookie & Cream ice cream and wish my coffee withdrawal headache away.

Argh! I'm a mess! Send help!

Lauren @ Team Giles 7:46 PM, August 31, 2009  

Ooo very good post!! great tips! thanks girl :)

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP