Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Pizza Tuesday

Growing up, my family used to have "Pizza Tuesday" for dinner. I'm not sure how it started really, my guess is that we just coincidentally made pizza two consecutive nights in a row, and bingo, a tradition was born!

I still love pizza but I also love fitting into my favorite jeans, therefore, I must enjoy real pizza in moderation. So I can get my pizza-fix any day of the week, without getting Pizza Butt, I turn to a recipe I call Cauliflower Pizza Kitchen.

Because I tend to shy away from white flour I've been making pizza crust out of another white food....cauliflower. 


Now, you may argue (and you would be right) that this is not as good as the real thing, but it is a great substitute. Give it a try.


Cauliflower Pizza Kitchen
Hats off to Chloe for this recipe!

(Makes one small pizza)

1/2 package cauliflower, steamed and riced (I use a bag of frozen cauliflower, microwaved per the instructions on the package, and then chopped with a vegetable chopper*)

1 egg (or 2 egg whites)

1/4 cup mozzarella cheese

1 t fennel

1 t oregano

1 t parsley

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Mix the cauliflower, egg, and cheese in a bowl and place onto a prepared cookie sheet, forming a shape of a pizza crust. Add the fennel, oregano and parsley evenly on top and bake for 15 minutes.

Remove the crust from the oven, top with your favorite pizza toppings, and toss under the broiler for a few minutes. Enjoy!

My pizza's lately have been topped with low-carb marinara sauce (doctored up with just about every Italian seasoning in my cupboard), spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and feta cheese. Now there's a veggie-lovers pizza for ya!


*Now for the footnote. You're probably wondering how I rice my cauliflower. I use a fabulous gadget you might have seen on TV called the Vidalia Onion Chop Wizard, pictured here. Their marketing team should really give me a call because it has far more uses than slicing just onions, but that's not important right now. My favorite sister-in-law was the first in our family to discover this little time saver. Guess where I found mine? Walgreens.

Once your cauliflower is steamed, just pop it into the chopper and press. The Vidalia Onion Chop Wizard (that really needs a new name) also makes homemade salsa a snap! But since this article is all about Pizza Tuesday, you'll have to wait for Salsa Saturday for that one. It'll be spicy!

5 comments:

Yum Yucky 12:32 PM, August 11, 2009  

This is weird, I'm shocked, and I totally wanna try it.

I'm all for basic recipes, and anything that ends with pizza in my stomach gets the grade even before tasting it!

shaninreallife 3:36 PM, August 11, 2009  

i own the Vidalia Onion Chop Wizard. Like you, I have found many uses. Can't wait to try this new one!

Anonymous 4:48 PM, August 11, 2009  

This is an recipe by Chloe - an Atkins follower! I have been making this recipe for ages - it's awesome!! You can also rice your cauliflower by grating it :-)

Joanna Sutter, www.fitnessandspice.com 5:31 PM, August 11, 2009  

yum yucky: give it a try...I bet it will get mixed reviews at your house! ; )

shaninreallife: I am glad to hear another positive review of the chopper!

fattofabulous: Hats off to Chloe! I've been making this for so long, too, that I didn't know the source. I'll go make a note in the post! And, you're right, a grater would work perfectly for ricing cauliflower. Great tip!

Anonymous 11:06 PM, August 11, 2009  

This chopper is so much better than that "Slap Chop"

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP