Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Wild oats

I was up all night sowing my Wild Oat Bars. 

Technically, they aren't "my" Oat Bars since Julie Nodgaard gave me the original recipe but I made them so maybe it's not entirely unethical to call them mine. That, and I went to the trouble of changing the name of the recipe from Oat Bars to Wild Oat Bars because you can get a little crazy and create many variations just by changing an ingredient or two.

I made a few substitutions to Julie's recipe, so today I am going to share two versions of the Wild Oat Bar recipe. It's kind of like stumbling upon a BOGO sale--it's your lucky day!

If you are a fan of oatmeal granola bars, then these recipes are for you. These bars are really easy to whip together and make a great, wholesome, post-workout oat meal.

Before the big reveal, I want to point out two things about today's photo:

1. I will not be winning any photo journalism awards if I keep posting cell phone pictures, and; 
2. I was up LATE baking these oat bars to share with you 

So without further delay...

From the kitchens of Julie and Joanna Crocker:

JULIE'S WILD OAT BARS
 
Dry ingredients:
  • 3 cups old fashioned oats (not quick cooking)
  • 1 cup fruit (raisins, chopped apples, dried cherries or cranberries, dates, etc.)
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp baking soda
 
Wet ingredients:
  • 1-6 oz. carton plain, low fat or nonfat yogurt
  • 1 whole egg or 2 egg whites
  • 2 Tbs. melted butter or vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2-4 Tbs. honey
  
Mix dry ingredients thoroughly.  Mix wet ingredients thoroughly. Pour wet into dry and mix thoroughly.  Press the mixture into an 8 or 9 inch square pan, sprayed with Pam.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


JOANNA'S WILD OAT BARS

Dry ingredients:
 
Wet ingredients:
  • 1-6 oz. carton plain, low fat or nonfat yogurt
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 Tbs. coconut oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2-4 Tbs. agave nectar
  
Mix dry ingredients thoroughly.  Mix wet ingredients thoroughly. Pour wet into dry and mix thoroughly.  Press the mixture into an 8 or 9 inch square pan, sprayed with Pam.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

A note or two about my recipe. I have a bit of a sweet tooth so I added in the dark chocolate chips and a little bit of stevia. I will be telling you more about
NuNaturals NuStevia soon as it is a "nu" product for me. So far I've found this stevia bakes up beautifully and makes a great alternative to sugar. 

I think it's safe to say you can mix and match these recipes or go a little wild with your own creations. Add cinnamon, use almond extract, drizzle a touch of melted dark chocolate on top, mix craisins with chocolate, you decide. And, while you are chewing on that, I'm off to research cameras and make a strong cup of coffee.

3 comments:

Yum Yucky 9:00 AM, August 04, 2009  

Very interesting! Oats are my favorite. I sometimes eat them dry right out of the container. (is that weird?) I'll try this recipe!

Joanna Sutter, www.fitnessandspice.com 8:03 AM, August 05, 2009  

I do the very same thing, YY!

Give this recipe a try...when you make them with chocolate chips they remind me of chocolate oatmeal cookie bars. And, you don't need the entire package of chocolate chips....just a big old handful goes a long way.

Joanna Sutter, www.fitnessandspice.com 2:37 PM, August 05, 2009  

Just a quick update...thanks to a recommendation from my amazing friend, Suzanne, I will soon be the proud owner of a new camera!

So consider yourself warned. I'm going to be camera snappy. And, YOU could be on candid camera!

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP