Friday, August 14, 2009

Swimming Lessons

Each year we wrapped up the swim team season at our annual awards ceremony. When I was 10 years old my coach handed me my participation trophy at the banquet along with a button that read:

"The more you complain the longer God lets you live."

I think this was his subtle way of saying I was an absolute joy to coach.

I have to admit, my joy for cardio induced workouts has not improved over the years, because I'm still complaining. Put a barbell or a dumbbell in my hand and I'm happy, but put me on a treadmill and the 10 year old girl in me emerges and she's usually whining.

Yesterday's workout called for 30 minutes of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). To shake things up a bit, instead of hitting the cardio equipment, I made a detour to the weight room. I knew I could get my heart rate up using light weights and body weight movements if I put my mind to it.

I ended up breaking my workout into three 10 minute segments. Here's what I did:

ROUND 1: 10 Minutes
I grabbed an empty 45 pound barbell and did the following barbell complex:

10 Deadlifts
10 Overhead presses
10 Squats
30 Seconds rest

I repeated this sequence 1 time through (without putting the bar down between movements) and repeated the set 4 more times.

ROUND 2: 10 minutes
10 Pushups
10 Weighted step-ups to a bench (10 steps-ups per leg)
25 Jumping jacks
30 Seconds rest

I repeated this set 4 more times.

ROUND 3: 10 minutes
30 seconds jump rope
30 seconds reverse lunges
30 seconds skipping
30 seconds rest

I repeated this set 4 more times.

Before I knew it I knocked out 30 minutes of HIIT, completed a full body workout, and worked up a great sweat...all without complaining. I completed my workout and I actually enjoyed it. The next time you're dreading a workout, you are more than welcome to borrow this one, or find a way to incorporate things you love into your session to help you get the most out of your training.

Now, I'm hoping to live a long and healthy life, so if the saying on my button is true, that God really let's complainers live longer, then I best be on my merry way to find something else to complain about.

4 comments:

MichelleR 10:09 AM, August 14, 2009  

If your coach is right, I'm gonna live a loooooong time. Remember gym class in high school? Ugh. Lots to complain about there. But because I believe an old dog can learn new tricks, I'm going to hit the gym - and do it with a good attitude. And I think that'll do the trick.

Anonymous 10:48 AM, August 14, 2009  

you can complain about my kids. :)

Yum Yucky 5:13 AM, August 16, 2009  

Yesterday I hit the pool and did all these legs exercises for the first time ever (all while holding Baby).

Either I didn't do the exercises right, or my legs are stronger than I think. It seemed too easy. And I'm not sore today. ???

Joanna Sutter, www.fitnessandspice.com 8:12 AM, August 16, 2009  

Go, Michelle, go!

Carrie, your kids are gems! Well, at least Ruby is anyway.

Yum, I love the sound of your swimming workout...water is such great resistance work. You really are stronger than you think you are...especially doing it all while carrying baby.

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP