Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Rise and Shine

From what I can remember, every Sunday morning Mom would start the day by singing "RISE AND SHINE" to get my brother, sister and I out of bed. But truth be told, what really got us "up and at 'em" was the sweet smell of potatoes, green peppers and onions sautéing in the kitchen. Those mouth-watering flavors and the crackling sound of vegetables sizzling in a hot pan always bring me back to memories of home sweet home.

Dad was always in charge of making breakfast, from Mickey Mouse shaped pancakes to vegetable filled frittata's. A frittata is an Italian omelet often made with meats, cheeses, vegetables, and of course, eggs. In other words, a frittata is like a crustless quiche, capisce?

I can picture Dad standing in front of the stove with a dish cloth tossed over one shoulder flipping our frittata ever so carefully in order to cook both sides of the egg bake. It was quite a
balancing act. He would invert a plate covering the hot skillet, flipping the frittata, and returning it safely to the pan. I think I held my breath every time I watched him.

Dad made frittata using this technique until a few years ago when we discovered an easier way. Our friends, the Calphalon's, created the Unison Slide Nonstick Frittata Pans. The pans are sold in a set and have interlocking handles for flipping frittatas right on the stovetop, eliminating the need to use a plate. The pans are available at Williams-Sonoma and are sold in two sizes. Dad has the large set of pans that make a 10' diameter frittata and I am the proud owner of the
small set that make an 8" frittata. I have to say these are my favorite pans in my kitchen.

There are a million or more recipes out there for frittata, just ask Google. Below is the recipe I've been flipping up lately. I love the simplicity of this recipe and the fact that you can add in whatever ingredients you happen to have on hand.

Buon giorno Frittata
(Makes 1 serving)

3-4 eggs (I've been using egg beaters or egg whites)
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. olive oil
1 handful of fresh spinach
1/4 cup broccoli
1/4 cup red onion

Directions:
In a bowl, gently beat the eggs and whisk in the pepper and cheese. Set aside.

In the deep half of a frittata pan warm the 1 tsp. olive oil. Toss in the vegetables and sauté until tender.

Add the egg mixture and cook, using a spatula to lift the cooked edges and allow the uncooked eggs to flow underneath. Continue cooking until the eggs begin to set.

Set the shallow half of the frittata pan over medium heat and lightly coat with olive oil. Place the shallow pan upside down on top of the deep pan and flip the frittata into the shallow pan. Cook,
covered, until the eggs are set, about 5 minutes.

Gently shake the pan to loosen the frittata and slide it onto a serving plate.


I've never made a frittata as good as Dad's, but they never fail to help me Rise and Shine!
Buona fortuna!

5 comments:

Anonymous 7:57 AM, August 19, 2009  

You have a great Dad!

Yum Yucky 10:51 AM, August 19, 2009  

I love a frittata! But at my house, you snooze you lose. I was forcing the my teen to wake up for breakfast, but since she desires to sleep till almost 11am, you on your own, baby!

I have no sympathy for the late, hungry snoozers.

Geri 2:23 PM, August 19, 2009  

You do have a great Dad! He also makes the best frittata around...

Joanna Sutter, www.fitnessandspice.com 2:41 PM, August 19, 2009  

Josie, I love your spirit! Just hit your kids up with one of those Kellog's protein bars you like and get them back to school!

Joanna Sutter, www.fitnessandspice.com 2:42 PM, August 19, 2009  

Yes, my Dad couldn't get any better. : )

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP